Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Wednesday, 28 September 2016

My Pandora Charms Decoded ♡ Collection Series #1

I am a sucker for mementos; things that remind me of an old adventure, or even just a really great day. I collect souvenirs from every place I visit, I take as many photos as possible, and I make sure to document every day that my heart feels full, either in a blog post or in my journal.

I really do romanticise so many parts of my life. I get very attached to memories and moments, which may seem silly to some people, but it has really helped me to start enjoying life. I can't believe there was a time that I dreaded to even open my eyes. Of course, back then, I wouldn't have believed there'd be a time where I'd look forward to doing so, but I'm so glad I stuck around to see it happen.

As I've mentioned many times, I am collector of many things, and I plan to do many more collection posts in the future that will be a lot larger, but for today's post I thought I would talk about my Pandora charms, and the meaning and/or memory behind each one.

I can't remember the exact order that I got them in, but I do know roughly, so I will try to talk about them in order from oldest to newest. I first got my Pandora bracelet when I was around 14-15, so my first few charms I got merely because I thought they were cute, rather than the fact that they represented a certain memory.

My heart, snake, ghost, dice and soccer ball charms were some of the first charms that I got, mostly because whenever I drew idly in class in the corner of my notebooks, it would be one of those things. I'm not sure why, but those things just stood out to me. Especially soccer balls - all my life I have despised sport, but I love soccer balls and I have no idea why!

The next three I got were a letter "I" (because my name starts with I, obviously), a purple glass charm, and a dangly pink heart. All of them are still quite basic, but I felt that they put a little bit more "me" into my bracelet.

After those, I got my "16" charm for my 16th birthday, and my "18" charm for my 18th birthday. Celebrating merely ageing is kind of strange, considering you don't really have any control over being born or getting older, but there were times in my life where I didn't think I would make it to 16, and there were even more times in my life where I didn't think I would make it to 18. It just seemed so out of reach; so far away that I would just give up on life before I got there.

But I didn't. I made it to 18, and at the time I had a great boyfriend (who I am still with now), and hardly a care in the world. It was such a wake up call to how great my life had become compared to what it used to be, so those charms are more to me than just a way to subtly let people know that I really am over 18 (I recently got mistaken for 16, despite turning 20 this month).

My next charm has quite a cute story to it. It's a dangly charm of two hearts joined - which is mine and Daniel's "thing". You see, my 17th birthday was my first birthday with Daniel, and we had only been officially dating for 3 months, so I wasn't expecting anything too extravagant for my birthday (especially since he was a year 12 student who worked at a supermarket, as did I), but he got me a beautiful necklace (which he spent far too much on. It would take us hours to discuss whether it's worth spending that amount of money on anything now) of two hearts joined, and the words "I love you" on the side - which he didn't actually see when he bought it, so luckily we had already said it, or that would have been a tad awkward!

Anyway, when I opened it, I immediately loved it because it was so special and thoughtful and one of my first real pieces of jewellery (besides my Pandora bracelet) and, as I was fussing over it, he said "it's two hearts joined, just like us". I practically melted. Hardly any 18-year-old boys would say something like that, and I managed to find the one that did! I am so blessed. Since then, any time we see two hearts joined, we say it's "us", so when I asked for a Pandora charm for my birthday (because I am really slack on filling up my bracelet), it was an obvious choice to get the charm that had two hearts joined.

The last two were also from Daniel. A dangly Eiffel Tower, because I obviously love Paris (I kind of wish I waited until I had actually visited the Eiffel Tower before I got the charm, but there's plenty of travel-related charms that I can get to represent that memory), and another charm that consists of two hearts joined, because I can never have enough reminders of that sweet and adorable thing that my wonderful and shy boyfriend said to me when we were in high school.

I do love my Pandora bracelet. I can't wait until it's full and I can think back to all the memories that each charm represents. It's the little things in life that make it worthwhile.

Until next time,
Indya xx

P.S. You may have noticed there are two charms in the first photo that I did not talk about, and that's because they're not Pandora charms. The crayon box is from Chamilla and I'm not sure where the little dangly heart one came from as it was a gift!