Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Friday, 18 November 2016

Adventure #12: National Gallery of Victoria

I have written quite a few art-related adventure posts, and I can't believe it took me this long to write about the National Gallery of Victoria. As soon as I discovered its existence (which wasn't until 2014, when I moved back to Melbourne), I immediately fell in love and now visit it nearly every time I go to the city. I have hundreds of photos from my various visits, which you can find scattered across my Instagram and Tumblr, but in today's post I'll try use the photos from my last visit, which I organised so I would have brand new photos for this post.

There is so much to see at the National Gallery of Victoria. There's a lot of historical art that is permanently on display, but as I've seen them a million times, I tend to only take photos of the temporary exhibits now, which is mostly quite modern and contemporary art. During my last visit I saw a lot of paintings that have been on display before (the ones in the first three photos), which surprsed me as I wasn't aware that they 'recycled' work in the temporary section, but I was more than happy to get some better photos on my camera of said pieces, rather than the ones I previously took on my phone.


The second marriage, 1963
Artist: David Hockney





















Texture 4 & 2, 2013
Artist: Mika Rottenberg



















Untitled (Layers of stuff building over time), Untitled (In his studio the artist
has no social responsibility), Untitled (Problem) and Untitled (I fell down), 2014
Artist: David Shrigley






















I first saw David Shrigley's work in a 2014 exhibition at the National Gallery of Victoria, and I've loved him ever since (feel free to browse my David Shrigley tag on Tumblr to see more of his pieces). His work can appear simple at times, but that's modern art for you, and I love it for what it is. I also love how relatable David's work is, and, sometimes, how bizarre.






To change, to confound, 1983
Artist: A. R. Penck




It's difficult to write a post about a place that's always changing. There's always new things happening at the National Gallery of Victoria - and the best part is admission, and most of the exhibitions, are completely free. There is also a restaurant, a cafe and a gift shop that is filled with books, prints and other art-related knickknacks.

Some exhibitions also have "kid versions", for lack of a better name, that are usually titled '*exhibition name*: For Kids', which will be separate from the rest of the exhibition, and will feature lots of interactive and hands-on activities for children to partake in. Sometimes, throughout the gallery, there will be a few things for people of all ages to partake in, too.

I really do love the NGV. It's big, ever-changing, and, most importantly, free - and it's a great place to pop in for a look if you have some time to kill while you're in the city.

Until next time,
Indya xx