Monday, 14 November 2016

Art Journal Snippets

I have kept journals for as long as I can remember. My love of writing came to me quickly, and I'm not even sure why. I didn't know any writers. No one that I knew seemed to enjoy it like I did, but that didn't stop me from keeping many diaries throughout my primary school years (which, thankfully, don't exist anymore). I wish I kept a diary throughout high school, as I went through a lot, and it would be interesting to look back on, and use that material for my poetry (did I mention I write poems? I don't do it as much as I used to, but I still have a great love for poetry).

Anyway, I've always loved documenting things in my life with my writing (and photography), but sometimes I feel like a diary entry is either too much or too little for an event I want to remember. For example, if I had lunch with a friend after not seeing them for a while, I would like to make a note of it, but it seems a bit pointless to write "Dear diary, today I saw [insert name]. We had lunch at [insert food place]. It was nice." - that's where my art journal comes in.

I like doing "summaries of the month" in my art journals to remember the little things, like lunch dates. On these pages, I'll write the name of the month at the top and decorate the page will little pictures and notes that are relevant to that month. I'll post some examples below.






If only one or two things happen within a month that are worth noting, especially if I have some sort of memento from it, I'll often do a page dedicated to just those events. Not every page in my art journal is dedicated to a certain memory, though. Sometimes I just feel like making collages, which is another thing I've been doing since I was a pre-teen. Some of my older collages, that are in my first art journal, are much more simplistic and less colourful than my newer ones, but I'm still happy with the overall look of them.

My first art journal features more drawings and doodles of mine than my current one, since I have become a lot harder on myself over the last couple of years, which really took the fun out of drawing.


I do still keep a regular journal, as writing will always be my number one love. Besides, there are just some things that a picture can't say, and there's where words come in, but I love keeping a art journal for days I'm feeling inspired to create, rather than just document. 

My art journals are nothing compared to the masterpieces that I've seen online. Some people are just. So. Talented. It's not fair! But I've just got to keep in mind that, as long as I had fun doing something, it doesn't matter what the outcome is - and you should remember that too.

Until next time,
Indya xx