This year - especially these last few months - has made me feel a lot more confident in the area of making things. Whilst I mostly stuck to piñatas for a while, I am slowly starting to delve into other areas and work with materials that I had never thought I would work with before (like this project, for example). It's thanks to this newfound creative spark that I decided to personalise Daniel's stocking for him this year.
There was just one problem: I couldn't decide on what design! My first idea was Iron Man as he is Daniel's favourite Marvel character, but I also wanted to do something food related as it is something that we both love dearly, and it would go with the rest of our home decor. Instead of choosing one, I just decided to do both, and have a design on each side of the stocking. This way we can alternate each year - unless I decide to make a completely new one next year!
Both of these designs are super easy to do, but they make all the difference. I'm all about personalising things and decorating them so they remind you of something you like. If I didn't already have a stocking that I love, I would totally make my own - let's be real though, I'll probably make my own next year.
For the pizza stocking:
🎅 One stocking
🎅 Brown, red, pink, and two shades of yellow paper
🎅 Fabric glue
🎅 Glue stick
1. Sketch out the crust of the pizza on your brown paper for as many slices as you'd like to have on your stocking, then cut them out.
2. Place the crust pieces onto your red paper and sketch out the sauce portion of the pizza so that it's slightly thinner than the crust piece, then cut that out. Make sure to cut out a longer piece than you see in the photos as the crust will cover some of it up once it is glued on.
3. Glue your crust pieces onto your sauce pieces, then place them on your lighter yellow paper. Sketch out elongated triangle shapes, remembering to leave some room for your sauce and crust pieces to be glued to, then glue them onto the triangles.
4. Draw small rectangles onto your pink paper and cut them out, then draw small pineapple pieces on your dark yellow paper and cut them out. Stick both of these onto your pizza slices in a pattern of your choice, and ta-da! You now have living proof that you love pizza just a little too much 😉
For the Iron Man stocking:
🎅 One stocking
🎅 Red and yellow felt
🎅 White paper
🎅 Fabric glue
🎅 Black permanent marker
1. Get a photo of Iron Man's mask that you'd like to have on your stocking up on your computer screen. Trace the outlines of the entire mask onto your red felt with your pencil, then hold your yellow felt up to the screen and trace around the yellow parts of his mask.
2. Cut out the red and yellow parts of the mask and glue the yellow on top of the red with a little bit of fabric glue. Draw the two "ear marks" with your permanent marker.
3. On your white bit of paper, sketch out the eye parts with your pencil. When you're happy with the design, go over it in permanent marker, cut it out and stick it onto your mark.
4. Glue your completed mask onto the middle of your stocking, and you're done! You could make the mask bigger than I did so that it takes up more room, or you could even do multiples of them and scatter them around the face of the stocking, whichever one you prefer!
Do you usually go for the traditional red stocking, or do you prefer something more modern and personalised? If you've got your own DIY stocking ideas feel free to comment them down below, I'd love to hear about them!
Until next time,