2017 Memory Jar



I kept a memory jar back in 2014 (pictured here), and since then I've always thought about that year as the best year of my life. The fact that I finally got to move away from a horrible town, and that it was also the year I turned 18, probably had a lot to do with that, but I also think it was partly because I kept a memory jar. I kept track of every good thing that happened, no matter how big or small, and at the end of the year I was able to look back on them all and relive each happy memory.

2016 wasn't the easiest year, but it was still one of the greatest years of my life. I finally have my own life, where I get to make all my own decisions, and best of all, I get to share all my great experiences with my best friend and boyfriend, Daniel. Now, I am determined to make 2017 even better. Unlike in last year, 2017 didn't begin with a life-altering event to dampen the start of this year. In fact, this year started out perfectly - watching an array of gorgeous fireworks, wrapped in Daniel's arms - and I'd like to keep that magic around all year.

I am aware that there are quite a lot of people are doing memory jars this year, but I don't think that's any reason not to do one. I used to constantly deny myself the things I enjoyed because I didn't want to seem like I was following the crowd, but I can honestly say my life has gotten so much better since I got rid of that negative mindset. Simply allowing yourself to enjoy the things that you actually enjoy makes life so much better - so, yes, a lot of people are doing memory jars this year, and I am one of them.

~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~                ~

The only thing I don't like about memory jars is that all those memories just sit in a jar collecting dust, so at the end of this year I am going to put all the memories into a scrapbook with corresponding photos and other memorabilia. I love scrapbooking and journaling (which I wrote a post about here), and I also make a memory book every year for mine and Daniel's anniversary (here's the first and third one, if you're interested), so this project is right up my ally. I've already got so many ideas for it. Plus, it's been making me use my camera a lot more, which is always a good thing!

I browsed through some secondhand stores for a cute jar that I liked, but didn't end up finding one that particularly stood out to me, so I just got this little fish bowl from a variety store instead. It's pretty plain looking at the moment so I'm thinking about writing "memory jar" on it, or something along the lines of that, either with stickers or a permanent marker. Either way, I know it's what's inside that counts, and I'm super excited to start filling this baby up even more with happy memories!

Until next time,
Indya xx

Popular Posts