Read In March/April

I only read one book in March (which I forgot to photograph, but I'll still talk about below), and I'm quite disappointed in myself. I finished my Goodreads Reading Challenge in February and then, all of a sudden, I lost complete momentum to continue reading. I put a lot of my time into blogging during March; I joined quite a few Facebook blogging groups, started reading a bunch of new blogs, and I was constantly brainstorming post ideas, and I guess the month just got away from me.

This month I only read 3 books, which really isn't that much better, but it's still an improvement. As I said in my April in Review post, I did get out of the house a lot this month and spent more time with friends, so I'm not beating myself up about not reading too much. Anyway, here are the books that I read throughout March and April!



The Rosie Effect, by Graeme Simsion.


I love being able to see life through Don's point of view. I love how completely literal and logical he is at all times. As someone who has a lot of feelings which often get in the way of my decision making, it really is so interesting to get inside the mind of someone who is the opposite. I didn't particularly like Rosie, but then again I don't remember being too fond of her in The Rosie Project either.

However, I really felt that she was far too hard on Don in this book, and she told him a really awful lie that made me not be able to trust her anymore. Gene also made a really dumb decision to tell a bunch of lies that did not help him out at all and ultimately ruined his life, but it was his fault so I felt no sympathy for him. Even though the characters were frustrating at times, I still loved this book and would be interested in reading more of Graeme Simsion's work.



Kiss & Tell, by Alain de Botton.

After I read The Consolations of Philosophy, I fell in love with Alain de Botton's mind and vowed to read anything he's ever written. Since then I have found Kiss & Tell and The Architecture of Happiness at thrift stores, although I am yet to read the latter. The plot of Kiss & Tell intrigued me straight away: accused by his ex-girlfriend of being unable to empathise, the narrator vows to write about the next person who walks into his life, which is Isabel. Isabel is a regular, ordinary girl, but learning minuscule details about her through this book made her seem more than that.

When you start to get to know somebody, they are no longer a nobody. There are somebody with quirk and secrets and flaws. Whilst I didn't actually like Isabel as a person, and I did find this book a little slow at times, I love getting to know people right down to their core. I love brutal honesty, I love vulnerability; I want to know so much about a person that I could find my way around their heart, or mind, whilst blindfolded, and that was the narrator's goal as well. Whilst there wasn't too much of an actual plot, I still found this book enjoyable and it made me wish all over again that I could know everyone in the world like the back of my hand.



Breakfast at Tiffany's, by Truman Capote.

This was a strange book. Holly was a strange person. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it managed to surprise me at nearly every turn of a page. I think people treated Holly far better than she deserved, but I can also understand how everyone was in complete awe of her. She did what she liked, whenever she wanted to, and whilst that's not a very stable or even nice way to live, it is still somewhat enviable.

Some of the language in this book surprised me, as a few things Holly said would certainly not be considered politically correct today. I did like how quick and easy this book was though - and it's nice to cross another classic off my to-read list! I have added the movie to my Netflix list and hope to watch it soon, as I've heard that it's amazing.



Where the Sidewalks Ends, by Shel Silverstein.

I was honestly expecting more from this book - especially considering over a million people have rated it on Goodreads, which is incredible. Only around 800, 000 have rated Frankenstein, and an even lower number of people have rated Alice in Wonderland, at just over 72, 000. I am aware that I am not the intended audience for this book, and it's possible that I would have loved it as a child, but it really didn't do much for me as a 20-year-old.

A few poems here and there made me chuckle, but some others made me think Shel was a little preachy. For example, 'Point of View' is sure to guilt any child out of ever eating meat or animal by-products again. 'The Edge of the World' also blatantly says not to believe anyone that says the world is round because he has "been down to the edge of the world" and "can tell you, boys and girls, the world is FLAT!" - which is just plain incorrect. I am no mother, and don't plan on being one, but I am aware that children are very impressionable and I think we need to watch what they see, read and/or hear, especially while they're young. I wonder how many children gave up meat, or started believing that the Earth is flat, after reading this.



Did you read anything this month that you enjoyed - or something that you didn't?

Until next time,
Indya xx

Popular Posts