Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Monday, 1 May 2017

Mint Chocolate Chip Truffles

According to numerous websites, tomorrow - the second of May - is National Truffle Day. I thought this would be a good opportunity to try a new recipe and a food that I've never eaten before, so I jumped onto Pinterest for some inspiration.

I found quite a few recipes that intrigued me, and have kept them bookmarked for a later date, but the ones that I absolutely fell in love with were these Mint Chocolate Chip Truffles by Shugary Sweets.

Mint Choc Chip Truffles | The Small Adventurer

In case you didn't know, mint chocolate is one of my favourite flavours. Biscuits, ice cream, chocolate bars, hot drinks - anything that is mint chocolate flavoured, I will try. I actually wasn't expecting to like these truffles (because, as you should know by now, I never expect anything I make to turn out good), but they are pretty amazing. They almost taste like mint chocolate ice cream, just not quite as cold.

When it came time to dipping them in melted chocolate, I put some chocolate melts into a bowl and melted them in 30 second increments in the microwave. I picked up a truffle with a toothpick - which was much harder than I expected - and rolled it around the chocolate, spooning some on the top to make sure all the green was covered.

Mint Choc Chip Truffles | The Small Adventurer
Mint Choc Chip Truffles | The Small Adventurer

The chocolate still wasn't quite melted enough, so I put it in the microwave again, but then it came out really thick and even lumpier. I Googled "chocolate goes lumpy when melting" and the first thing that came up said "what to do when you overcook chocolate, besides cry", which made me laugh.

I didn't even know you could overcook chocolate, but apparently it's quite common, especially in a microwave - and I thought I was taking the easy way out! After that, I melted the rest of my chocolate on the stove, which worked much better. I didn't have much chocolate left after overcooking most of it, so I was only able to coat four of the truffles in chocolate, but they still taste good just on their own.

Mint Choc Chip Truffles | The Small Adventurer

Despite the slight mishap when trying to coat them in chocolate, these were actually fairly easy to make, which makes me want to try some of the other truffle recipes that I found soon.

Especially since, according to this website, truffles are traditionally balls of ganache rolled in something sweet such as coconut or candy, which makes me wonder if the ones I made even count as truffles. They were still delicious either way!

                                                                                                              ~

Have you ever tried truffles? Do you have a favourite kind?

Until next time,
Indya xx