Adventure #18: Trip to Marysville

As I mentioned in my July Goals post, Daniel and I had our very first trip planned this month! We decided a couple of months ago that we wanted to visit the snow and thought that early July would be a good time, as it's between our anniversary and Daniel's birthday.

We stayed at the Vibe Hotel in Marysville, and it was amazing. I planned on only writing 
one post about our holiday, but I have so much to talk about, I've had to split it up into three parts! 



We decided to visit the snow that was closest to us, which is Lake Mountain. Since you can't stay on the mountain, most visitors stay in Marysville, which is roughly half an hour away.


Marysville is a tiny little town, but it really is adorable. It's full of hotels, ski hire shops, and a variety of places to eat. This town is definitely catered towards tourists, especially around the snow season, but you can visit the Steavenson Falls any time of the year, which is a beautiful waterfall that I will write a post about soon!




As this was our first holiday, we wanted to really treat ourselves, so we opted for the biggest room in the hotel. It was a one bedroom apartment, which meant that we had a bedroom, a bathroom, and a lounge room that included a desk area and a kitchenette with a microwave, sink and small fridge. I was absolutely in love with the room and could have spent all my time there.

                                                                                  ~

Our first night in Marysville we went out to dinner at Elevation 423. We wanted to have a three-course meal - entrée, main and dessert - since we'd never done that before, and we were celebrating after all. 

I got garlic bread, vegetarian pizza, and a churro bowl with ice cream, and Daniel got chicken wings, a scotch fillet steak, and some ice-cream-with-coffee-and-alcohol dessert that I can't remember the name of. I don't like coffee or alcohol, but the dessert was actually really nice!




The next morning we got up early as we had booked to have a buffet breakfast at the Vibe Hotel's Cafe each day that we were there - plus we had a bus to catch at 10:30. The breakfast was amazing. Daniel and I don't usually eat breakfast because we like to wake up at the latest possible moment before leaving for work or school, but this has convinced us that we should start eating breakfast. 

Daniel had lots of sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, watermelon, and hashbrowns all on three mornings, and I had lots of fruit salad, watermelon, hashbrowns, Danish pastries and cinnamon scrolls for my three. Everything was delicious; I don't think I'm ever going to be able to go back to supermarket pastries again. 



The pastries that I had were so incredibly soft and light, I've never had anything like it before. On all three mornings we ate so much that we didn't feel the need to snack on junk food all day long like we usually do, is that what it's like when you eat breakfast?!

Since we weren't blown away by our first dinner for a number of reasons, we decided to go out for dinner again on the second night. This time we went to Radius Bar & Grill, which is semi-attached to the Vibe Hotel. 



I didn't like any of the entrées or mains on the menu, so I got a side of scalloped potato and roasted pumpkin instead, and Daniel got pork belly. Both of our foods weren't the best once again - but I do hate being negative so I won't go into the reasons - so we treated ourselves to dessert, which were a lot better.


Daniel got a caramel apple strudel (that practically melted in your mouth! It was so good) with caramel ice cream, and I got a mixed berry brûlée, which was also nice. I fell in love with apple strudel so much that it made me want to try making it myself some day, but I am quite scared about delving into pastries as I remember the nightmares of my Cake It Instead class back in high school, but we'll see.



The third night we stayed in Marysville we considered going out for dinner again, but when we thought about the fact that we'd spent over $100 each night and were disappointed both times, we didn't want to risk it again, so we opted for room service instead. 

The room service menu was a lot better than the places we had gone out to eat at, and a lot cheaper too. I got a Greek salad, and Daniel got penne and meatballs. They were both delicious and were a great end to a wonderful holiday.



The Vibe Hotel also had a pool, sauna and gym that you're free to use while you're staying there. Unfortunately, the pool was outside so it was far too cold to go swimming. We tried out the sauna, but weren't able to make it very steamy, so we basically ended up sitting in a small, hot room. At least we can say we've been in a sauna now! 


I love being able to cross off 'firsts', especially when they're with Daniel. Throughout this trip we also built our first snowman, Daniel went tobogganing for the first time (I went as a kid), and we both went hiking for the first time! So many great memories to make with my best friend.



                                                                                  ~

We really did have the loveliest little holiday together. It was so nice to let ourselves relax and just enjoy ourselves. I slept like a baby all three nights - which is a huge thing for me - and felt so refreshed by the time we came home, despite having two quite adventure-filled days. 

Keep an eye out for part two and three of this little holiday. They should both be posted within the next few weeks. Part two will be about our day at the snow, and part three will be about our waterfall and hiking adventure! I got some beautiful photos from both days that I'm super excited to share with you all.

Until next time,
Indya xx


Related posts:

Popular Posts