Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Friday, 28 July 2017

Hamburger Cupcakes and Cookie Fries for Hamburger Day

Happy Hamburger Day!

Okay, so much like Donut Day, there is some dispute about when Hamburger Day actual is. Days of the Year website credits May 28th as being Hamburger Day, whereas Foodimentary says it is July 28th


I read both websites and often base posts around the holidays that they have on their calendars, but in this instance I decided to follow Foodimentary's date as he is the person who makes up most of the food holidays.

Of course, you should all know by now that just because it's Hamburger Day does not mean I am going to make actual hamburgers. Just like I didn't technically make donuts on Donut Day, or Ice Cream for Ice Cream Month, I found a way to celebrate this novelty holiday in my own way - by making hamburger shaped treats!




This extensive recipe by Bakerella features cupcakes, brownies and cookies - not to mention coconut flakes, fondant, and royal icing! This certainly was an all-day feat, but I loved every minute of it. I made vanilla cupcakes from scratch for the second time, and I made brownies from scratch for the first time using this recipe!


Bakerella used green icing for her lettuce, but suggested using coconut if you wanted a more realistic lettuce look. I happened to have some coconut leftover from my Sushi Cupcakes, so I put a handful or so of it into a bowl, and slowly mixed in some green food dye. I love how it turned out!




I used a regular royal icing recipe for the tomato sauce which worked really well, and I happened to have some yellow fondant on hand so I rolled that flat and cut little squares out of it for the cheese. It all looked so realistic, I was so happy! I used actual sesame seeds for the tops of the cupcakes, which didn't affect the taste at all, so that was a bonus.

Next up was the sugar cookie fries! I hadn't made sugar cookies since February, but I could still remember how much I do not like working with dough, so I was dreading this part. Luckily for me, everything worked a whole lot better this time around! My trusty stand mixer might have had something to do with that, but I also knew what to expect this time around, which definitely helped.




I feel the need to add that I have an awful stove and oven. The stove only has one setting: extremely hot. It doesn't matter what we set it to, nearly everything we make ends up burning. 


The oven is no better. It takes a stupidly long time to heat up, and anything you put on the bottom tray ends up burning before the things on the top tray have even finished cooking - so the cookies took way longer than they should have.




I put two trays in at first, but the bottom ones burnt completely black in 8 minutes, so I decided to just use the top tray. This meant doing lots of batches, but they came out properly cooked and not completely black, so it was worth the hassle. 


I can't believe how much they ended up looking like fries! They were delicious, too. So soft and sweet - and when I drizzled the leftover royal icing onto them, they looked like a bowl of fries with sauce! My tastebuds were so confused 😂






As I've mentioned before, I love trying to recreate the masterpieces that other bakers have invented. I would love to come up with something as creative and original as these Hamburger Cupcakes, and hopefully one day I will, but for the moment I'm having fun testing out new recipes I find online. 


I am so, so happy with how these turned out. Even with my awful oven, all the components of this recipe came out pretty good, and resulted in a great end product that I enjoyed far too much 🙊 




I hope you all have a great Hamburger Day however you spend it, and let me know if there's any upcoming food-related holidays that you want me to do a post on!


Until next time,

Indya xx
Related posts: