Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Friday, 23 September 2016

Adventure #6: Australian Centre for Contemporary Art


I really do love art. Even if I often have trouble figuring out the underlying meaning behind it, I still find it fascinating and inspiring and gorgeous.

As much as I love older art (as cliche as it may be, I am a huge Van Gogh fan), I also quite enjoy contemporary and modern art. Even the aesthetic of art galleries pleases me - the white walls and the paintings laid out so nicely; I find it calming to be in a room filled with art.

I frequently visit the National Gallery of Victoria, but I felt like going somewhere new so, after some Googling, I had my sights set on the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art.


Even though it's only a 15 minute walk from Flinders Street, it feels like it's not in the city at all. The street it is located on was deserted, and there was hardly any noise around it. If you didn't know better, you would have no idea that there were countless trains, trams, buses and cars bumper to bumper just a few metres away. It was very peaceful and tranquil - even borderline spooky.

Admission is free - which is good considering there's only two rooms of art - and there's a small cafe inside as well. It wasn't anywhere near as busy as the NGV gets, but as I said, it's practically hidden away from the rest of the city.





Despite the visit only taking about 15 minutes, it was a nice little stop to take during a day out in the city. I really do love seeing art that I've never seen before, and I love learning the names of artists that I haven't heard of.

I know that people have their adversities to art, particularly contemporary and modern, but I just love that there are practically no rules.

If you create something, it's art - and I love that there's so many people out there who have so many feelings and thoughts that they just have to create something before they burst with emotion. I really do think being able to create and witness art in its infinite forms is one of the greatest things
about being human.

Until next time,
Indya xx