Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Friday, 7 October 2016

Adventure #8: Melbourne Museum

The Melbourne Museum is one of those places that you have to see at least once, if you're from the area. It's always high on the list on things to do in Melbourne, and it's a popular destination for both tourists and locals. TripAdvisor rates it 12 out of 345 different things to do in Melbourne!

Museums tend to get a bad reputation for being "boring" or "nerdy" (which are both completely fine things to be by the way, don't let anyone ever tell you that you have to be "interesting" or/and more social), but I really do think they're great. They are always full of information about the world we live in.


My last trip to the Melbourne Museum was over a year ago, so I'm a little hazy with specific details about it (if I'd had this blog back then, I wouldn't have this problem!), but I do have an array of photos that make me really eager to go back again.

Gemstones are something I used to collect. I had so many different items made with, or out of, some kind of stone or gem. My favourite piece was one that I acquired when I was a bit older, it was a little tree of amethyst crystals, it almost looked like a bonsai tree, and it was so pretty and special to me. Unfortunately, I don't have any of them anymore.


Anyway, the museum's gemstone collection is (obviously) much more impressive than mine ever was. Just look at the two giant ones pictured above. They took my breath away when I saw them.

As much as seeing dead animals upsets me, it's pretty amazing to see all the different types of butterflies on display. This photo is NOTHING compared to the range that they have. I had no idea that butterflies could have so many different patterns and colours on their wings. It's a bittersweet thing to see all these beautiful specimens on display.


Of course, everyone knows the main attraction at any museum is the dinosaur skeletons, and these guys certainly did not disappoint. Even though you're told your whole life about dinosaurs, and just how big they were, you don't truly understand until you're in a room with their skeletons. They were huge. It's so hard to imagine that these guys once roamed our Earth. Imagine watching them try to pick things up with their little arms! That would have been amusing.

I really do think the museum is a great place to visit, especially if you have kids, as there is something for everyone. Adult tickets are only $14 (free for concession), so it's a relatively cheap day out as well - which is always the best kind.

Until next time,
Indya xx