Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Friday, 21 October 2016

Adventure #9: Eureka Skydeck

Visiting the Eureka Skydeck in Southbank has been on my bucket list ever since I learnt of its existence, and last year I finally got to cross it off when Daniel's family came down to visit us and we all decided to go.

As with such places as the museum, zoo and aquarium, the Skydeck is also one of those places that you have to go to at least once, if you're from Melbourne. That's how I see it, anyway. I feel really lucky to live in Melbourne, the world's "most liveable city", and I intend to milk it for everything it has while I can.





















Adult tickets are $20 for general admission, which is cheaper than both the aquarium and the zoo, but there is also a "Sun & Stars" option, that costs an extra $5.50 per person, that gives you an extra visit for that day or the next day. Theoretically, this option is so you can see the view both at day and night.

Of course, there is also "The Edge". Adult tickets for The Edge are $12, on top of your general admission ticket. We did not end up going to The Edge when we visited, but I forget whether that was due to insufficient funds, or just pure fear.




















I can't remember if I've said this before (although I most likely have), but I am scared of nearly everything, and I thought that I would really start to freak out whilst in the elevator on the way to the top, but since they are the fastest elevators in the Southern Hemisphere, it only takes 38 seconds to get to the top. 38 seconds. You step in, and before you know it, your ears are popping from the change in altitude, and you're about to step out and view Melbourne from 297 metres above the ground - which is the highest public viewpoint in the Southern Hemisphere, apparently.

Unfortunately, I did not take any photos of the actual building, inside or out (except for one of a post box, which is the highest post box in Australia, pictured below), but I do know there was a gift shop there, as I bought a shot glass as a souvenir for myself. I'm not sure why I chose a shot glass since I do not do shots, but I'm presuming it was one of the cheapest things there because, once upon a time, I hardly ever spent my money.
























I really loved visiting the Skydeck. It was mind-blowing to think how far off the ground we were, and I love experiencing all the great things that this city has to offer. I do want to go again sometime, and do the whole Edge experience this time. That is, if I don't chicken out.

I apologise for recycling old memories the last couple of weeks, but I've been really sick and haven't been able to venture out of the house and do anything interesting. However, I am all better now and have a new adventure planned this weekend that I will chew your ears (or eyes?) off about next week! Thanks for sticking around in the meantime.

Until next time,
Indya xx