Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Monday, 9 January 2017

What I've Been Reading: Free Amazon Kindle Books

I've always been somewhat averse to kindle books, as I like to collect physical books. As much as I do love and rely on technology, I couldn't imagine life without physical books and writing on paper, but something changed in 2016. I read a lot more than I have ever before, which meant I was spending more money on books. I didn't want to stop buying more books, but I was a lot more aware of how much money I was spending on them.

In December, I discovered that Amazon offers a ton of free kindle books. Like, HEAPS. As much I love to collect books, I couldn't resist getting so many for free. I ended up downloading over 300 in one day. I decided to do a separate post about the kindle books that I read - instead of including them in my monthly reads posts - so anyone who is looking to score some free books can read these posts and see if anything piques their interest. Some of them will be well-known classics (Amazon has so many free classics available!), and others will be quite random ones that I've never heard of, but still intrigued me nonetheless.



The Universe Doesn't Give A Flying F*ck About You, by Johnny B. Truant.

I am a very sensitive and soft person. I never used to be, though. Once upon a time, nothing could make me cry, but 2010 came around and it's almost like I've been in tears ever since then. I'm not complaining though, I'm sure it's healthier to feel all the things rather than feeling nothing at all. Anyway, I thought this book was going to make me feel insignificant and upset, but it didn't. It was just blunt enough that I could take it and not feel personally attacked. It was actually quite a nice reality check. It's very short at a mere 13 pages, but it definitely got its point across.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
I can still remember this movie coming out when I was 12. I was instantly intrigued and wanted to know what happened, but I never got the chance to watch it, and I only recently discovered that it was a book first. It's a very unique story, and quite fast-paced. Unlike in The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald doesn't concern himself as much (or at all) with poetic language in this book, but rather focuses on telling the story, and telling it quickly. I am even more intrigued to watch the movie now, to see how they turned this novella into a 2 hour and 45 minute movie. It was a nice, quick read; and it feels like an accomplishment within itself to have completed another one of F. Scott Fitzgerald's works.

The Insomniac Manifesto: Ramblings of a Sleep Deprived Mind, by Sascha Saintevic.
I saw the first three words of this kindle book's title and instantly downloaded it, thinking it was about insomnia, its causes and what it's like to live with it - but I was completely wrong. Instead, it's filled with random thoughts that the author has had throughout her life. They aren't in any sort of order or categories, it's just as though she wrote down each one of these thoughts and when she decided there was enough, published it as a kindle book. Some of the things she said were relatively funny and maybe even slightly insightful, but it just wasn't what I was expecting.

The Yellow Wallpaper, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.
I really enjoyed this book! At first I took it as just a story about Jane's decent into madness, but after reading about the symbolism of the yellow wallpaper and the woman behind it on SparkNotes, I'm even more amazed. Unfortunately, I am not one to be able to pick up on symbolism very easily - I remember quite clearly sitting in literature class in high school and having all the discussions go completely over my head - but it still interests me, which is why I'm thankful the internet exists, as I was always too shy to ask for help in class. Regardless of whether symbolism interests you or not, this story is still enjoyable, and it really makes you feel for Jane as you see her having to deal with the people around her thinking that simply resting will cure her depression.



Most of the kindle books I downloaded are quite small, so in theory I should be able to get through them fairly quickly, but I know I'll always prefer reading physical books, so it'll be quite some time before I read all the kindle books I have. Regardless, I'll always keep you updated on the books I do read, kindle or otherwise!

Until next time,
Indya xx