Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Friday, 10 February 2017

My Favourite (Bargain) Date Ideas

It's very clear that I look at life as one big adventure, and I look at all the little things within life as mini adventures. Doing this has completely changed my outlook on life, for the better. Once upon a time I dreaded getting up in the morning - now I can't wait to see what the day holds. Usually when I'm planning an adventure, I am looking for something new to do or see. I love to collect memories and experiences and, as my blog description says, I have a never-ending need to Do Everything Possible.

That being said, I don't mind repeating the same type of adventures, which means Daniel and I do a lot of the same things, but at different locations (such as circuses - as I mentioned in my Loritz Circus post, we have now been to three together), and these things become like annual dates for us. 

With Valentine's Day coming up, I thought it would be a good time to list some of my favourite date ideas in case you're looking for some inspiration, whether you've got a hot date or are just spending the day with some friends! Also, being the thrift shop queen that I am, I'm always looking for the cheapest way to have the most fun, so most of the dates in this list are quite affordable, too!



1. Mini golf.

I've loved mini golf for as long as I can remember, but then again, who doesn't? I hadn't been since I was a kid before the first time Daniel and I went together, and now we've been to four different places, always playing on both the inside and outside courses if available. I want to go to more, but since we've been to all the ones nearby, we'd have to set aside an entire day so we can travel to a different course. 

Mini golf is a nice way to spend time out of the house, and some golf courses are really picturesque - such as the one above - so I always make sure to bring my camera. As long as you don't have an overly competitive partner, this is a date that I think most people would enjoy!



2. Art galleries.
This isn't really a date idea for Daniel and I because Daniel hates art, but we've been to so many together I thought it would be worth naming. Most galleries have free entry (I am yet to go to one where you have to pay) and are a lovely place to stroll around, especially if you're both into art. I want to go to as many galleries as possible, and have been to quite a few, but I always find myself going back to the National Gallery of Victoria. It's my favourite one by far.


3. Circuses.
As I said, I've mentioned this before, so I won't talk too much about it. There's a town nearby that has a circus visit pretty much every year and, since we've lived down here, it's always been a different one, so we've gone to each one. I wouldn't count this as a cheap date, but we make the sacrifice since it's only once a year, and I really do love seeing what they can do.

4. Local movie cinemas.
Whilst you're sacrificing the luxury of the huge screens at cinemas such as Hoyts and Village, I still think visiting your local cinema is worthwhile. Daniel and I discovered a place that had $6 tickets after 6pm on certain nights, and we ended up going more times in one year than I've ever been before. 

Since then, we've seen 13 movies at that particular cinema, and we've never been disappointed. I've never noticed the screen being any smaller than any other cinema, and the food is the same, only cheaper. Unfortunately, that cinema no longer has the $6 tickets available (and there's so many movies I want to see this year, too!), but their usual tickets are still a lot cheaper than the bigger cinemas.



5. See your city's highlights.
Every city has its highlights and tourist attractions, and Melbourne is certainly no different. When I moved back to Melbourne after four years away, I realised how great this city is, and instantly knew I had to see all its greatest parts for myself. The good thing about tourist attractions is that they're usually not too badly priced (the bad thing about them is they always have overly priced gift shops that suck me in), so Daniel and I crossed quite a few off the to-do list the first year we were back. 

Things like the Eureka Skydeck, Melbourne Museum, Scienceworks (pictured above), Melbourne Zoo and the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie are all fun things to do and see at least once in your life, and they're not too expensive either. There's also places like Luna Park and the Melbourne Star, but I can't vouch for them as good adventures as I haven't been to either - yet!

                                                                                                              ~

What are some of your favourite date ideas? Any tips on how to make the most of special occasions without breaking a budget?

Until next time,
Indya xx