Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Monday, 6 March 2017

Our Relationship In Photos

In my last Read In.. post, I talked about the book Why We Broke Up, and how it was told through a series of mini stories about random objects that were somehow significant in their relationship, which gave me the idea for this blog post. 

My boyfriend and I have been together for over 3 and a half years, and have made so many memories together that I couldn't possibly remember them all, but there are a few ones that stand out to me, as I am reminded of them each time I see these objects, and I am going to share them today.



First tradition.
When Daniel and I first started going out, each night we would watch a movie in bed together until we fell asleep. It quickly became our routine to put a movie on this very laptop, regardless if we were going to stay up to watch it or not. I became so accustomed to it that I couldn't sleep if there wasn't a movie playing.

The movie that we put on was always Mary Poppins, although I'm not quite sure why. To this day, I still haven't seen Mary Poppins all the way through, because I'd always fall asleep. I know the beginning like the back of my hand, but I have no idea how it ends. The movie wasn't what mattered though (and actually, after a few months, we swapped it to the Bee Movie because I love that movie); it was just that point in time that holds a special place in my heart.

I was dating such a sweet guy who was always surprising me as to just how caring he was. He was somehow both someone I barely knew, and someone I felt like I knew better than myself, all at once. Even though a lot of sleep was lost because we were too busy staying up all night talking, or starting the Bee Movie again for the second or even third time because we were still awake, it was all worth it because those moments were what brought us so close together, and made us become best friends, as well as partners.     



First gift.
A few months into our relationship, Daniel visited the Melbourne Aquarium with his family, and brought this little cutie back for me. I initially didn't believe that it was actually for me, but he insisted that it was, and I was so happy. Daniel had no obligation to buy me anything, but he saw this little guy at the gift shop and wanted to get him for me, which is so sweet.

His name is Pengy (don't laugh, we're adorable), and he is one of my favourite things that I own. I've had him in my life nearly as long as I've had Daniel, which is so weird to think about. I like that he reminds me of the early stages of our relationship, all very sweet and shy and full of surprises (not that Daniel doesn't still surprise me now, because he does). Daniel and I both have a great love of penguins, and we visit them at the aquarium whenever we go to the city, so this was a perfect gift.

Our Relationship in Photos | The Small Adventurer

First birthday together.
Well, my first birthday with Daniel, to be exact (Daniel had his two weeks into our relationship. I got him a wallet, which he still uses today!). Daniel picked this necklace out for me all by himself, and I love it so much, but what I love most is his reason for why he chose it. When I opened up the box, I was swooning over how gorgeous it was and how he definitely spent too much money on me, and he said "it's two hearts joined, just like us". I practically melted.

No one had ever said something so sweet to me before, and I've never forgotten it. If you've read my Pandora charms post, you'll know that I also now have two linked heart charms from Daniel that I absolutely love, too. Any time I see two hearts that are even somewhat linked together, I think of that moment, and how incredibly blessed I am to have such a wonderful boyfriend.           

Our Relationship in Photos | The Small Adventurer

First anniversary.
When mine and Daniel's first anniversary came around, we had recently moved to Melbourne and I was still yet to find a job, so I was unable to buy him anything. I was very upset about not being able to get my wonderful, perfect boyfriend anything for our first anniversary so Daniel suggested that I make him something instead since I love crafts, so that's exactly what I did (we did something similar for our first Valentine's Day too). I made a little booklet and filled it with 52 memories that we made together over the first 52 weeks of our relationship. It was so much fun to do, and it's now a tradition of ours.

For our second anniversary I bought an old book from an op shop and pasted in photos and drawings to go with that year's memories, but it made the book really thick and impossible to display nicely, so the year after that I went back to making my own booklet again. As you can see in the photo above, as well as these few others, I make Daniel things quite often, even though I also buy him 'real' presents now. I actually have two boxes filled with all the things I've made Daniel, plus other little trinkets and souvenirs that I've collected over the last 3 years. I love looking through them and remembering all the things we've done together; it's like having a time capsule of our relationship.              



First big purchase.
I've briefly touched on the topic of how Daniel and I had to move out immediately this time last year, which left us briefly homeless, and without many possessions. Due to this impromptu move, we didn't have a lot of necessities that people usually have, such as a couch, table, bed frame or even a vacuum, but the one thing that really affected us was that we didn't have a washing machine.

Daniel took it upon himself to hand wash all of our clothing for weeks. It was so tedious and time-consuming - not to mention that they took forever to dry because he could only ring them out so much by hand - but he did it, and he never complained. We were in a sucky situation, our lives had been turned upside down and our bank accounts had practically been drained due to moving costs, and it was all because of someone in my family, but he never complained once. He never once made me feel like I was the one to blame, even if I felt that way.

A family friend ended up giving us washing machine for free (which is how we got most of our furniture. Shout out to everyone who helped us through those tough times ), but after a while that stopped working and we decided to bite the bullet and purchase a new one. It was expensive, but definitely worth it. It honestly felt like this washing machine represented the end of our struggles; like we had finally managed to build ourselves back up from nothing, and that's a really great feeling. I'm so, so grateful that I had Daniel by my side throughout these last few years, I honestly don't know where I'd be without him.

                                                                                                              ~              

Until next time,
Indya xx