Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Friday, 7 April 2017

21 Before 21

I am honestly kind of freaked out about turning 21 this year. People put so much pressure on having a big 21st and celebrating the fact that you're officially an 'adult', and it's been getting me down. I've been to a few 21st birthdays over the last year and they've all been amazing. They've each had unique themes, gorgeous decor, heaps of guests, delicious food and, most of all, there's always tearful speeches from the parents. That part gets me the most because I'm not going to have that. 

I mean, I'm not going to have any of those things because I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a party just so other people can get drunk, but the parent thing is out of my control, which makes it annoy me more. I've decided that I'll just catch up with friends over dinner, same as I did last year, and I'm content with that - but I feel like I should also acknowledge the fact that 21 is viewed as an important birthday, so I decided to write a list of things I want to do before I turn 21. I think it would make me feel a lot better being able to wake up on my birthday feeling accomplished, and not like a 21 year old who hasn't traveled and can't drive or even cook, which is what I am.


1. Get a tattoo.
Or, alternatively, decide once and for all if I want a tattoo. I have always loved them, and I have so many ideas on what to get, but there's no denying the prejudice that still surrounds tattoos even today. Whilst I wouldn't judge someone if they had tattoos, I know others still do, and I worry that it will hinder me in finding friends and work in the future. If I decide not to care about that and get a tattoo anyway, I know exactly what it will be, and where!

2. Get a haircut.
I have not had my hair cut in a very long time. I honestly can't remember when it was. I think the last time I went to the hair dresser I only got my fringe cut since that's a fraction of the price, and even that was a long time ago - but I think I deserve to get a proper hair cut. I know my hair will thank me for it.

3. Start making money from blogging.
Money, taxes and laws all stress me out so much, which is the only reason I haven't done this sooner. I am so afraid of doing something wrong and/or getting in trouble, but I really want to start earning some money through my writing, so I've just got to bite the bullet and sort out my finances.

4. Cook dinner for Daniel and I.
If you read my Small Goals for 2017 post, you'll know that trying out new recipes was one of them - and, if you've been keeping up with my cooking posts, you'll know that I've actually been doing pretty well, but I've mostly been focusing on sweets and desserts. Daniel has always been the cook in our relationship simply because I cannot cook, so I would love to be able to make a meal for the both of us at some point in our relationship.

5. Have an overnight adventure with Daniel.
An 'overnight adventure' is such an awkward way to put it, but saying 'holiday' didn't feel accurate enough. I just want to get away with Daniel for a night or two and stay somewhere new. We've been talking about going to the snow or something similar to that, but I don't mind as long as it is an adventure, and as long as Daniel is with me.

6. Get a massage.
I can't go 21 years without ever having a (professional) massage. I am constantly in pain, especially in my back, and I honestly just want to be able to say that I've had one before.

7. Reach my next savings goal.
I originally set myself a number that I wanted to reach by the end of the year, but Daniel has since overtaken me on the who-is-a-better-saver game, so I'm going to make it a little bit harder on myself and say that I want to reach it by my birthday in September. 

8. Do some DIY projects.
Another one of my goals for this year that I just haven't gotten around to, but I've got so many ideas and I need to get started on them.

9. Get a bed frame.
I have been without a bed frame for over a year now, and before that it was broken for quite some time even whilst we used it. Honestly, the only reason we haven't gotten around to it is because it doesn't bother us not having one. The only reason I want one is to make the bedroom look neater - and for the storage space underneath!

10. Visit the dentist.
I've been to the dentist even less times than I've been to the hairdresser, and that's a huge problem. I don't know why my mum never made me go after I turned, like, ten years old, but that was a bad decision. I know I should have gone on my own a long time ago, but truth be told, the pain still scares me - as does the cost.

11. Watch more classic/well-known movies.
I always find myself stuck in conversations about movies that everyone has seen but me. I am forever missing references or not getting jokes, and I am left without anything to contribute because I genuinely have no idea what anyone is talking about. As much as I don't actually enjoy watching that many movies as I have a very short attention span, I have decided to make a note of all the movies my friends talk about and try to watch them so I can participate in discussions.

12. Bake things for other people.
For quite a while now I have had a picture of exactly who I want to be, and I've been taking small steps to becoming that person (although it's a lot more difficult than I expected), and one of the traits I wish to have is to be 'that' person who always brings food to events and catch-ups. I want people to want me to bake things for them. That would make me feel so happy and wanted; I can't imagine anything better.

13. Get a passport.
Everyday I kick myself for not getting one before I turned 18, but since that ship sailed nearly three years ago, there's not much I can do except suck it up and get one now. The price sucks, as does getting all the documents you need, but it will be so great to finally have one.

14. Have friends over.
Daniel and I have been in the same place for over a year and haven't had anyone over, apart from a couple of people who just dropped things off. There are many reasons for this (no parking, hardly any room, for a while there was nowhere to sit), but they mostly come back to me over-thinking everything. I try really hard to come across a certain way to people, and I fear that once they see my house, it's almost like the illusion will shatter. Not that I am trying to trick people into thinking I'm something I'm not, I just worry they're going to judge my house and view me differently once they see it.

15. Go searching for beach trash.
This one may sound a little strange if you're not familiar with The Dainty Squid's Found On The Beach posts, but it's something I've been wanting to do ever since I discovered her blog. I also just love visiting beaches, especially since my last visit to one has such a lovely memory behind it (although it didn't start that way).

16. Do at least one animal encounter at the zoo.
If you've been reading my blog for a while you'd know that Daniel and I have annual passes to the Melbourne Zoo and SEA Life Aquarium because we love seeing animals. Our passes to the zoo also include entry to the Healesville Sanctuary and the Werribee Open Range Zoo. After visiting the Healvesville Sanctuary not long ago, I discovered they have a close-up encounter available where you can hold a python, and I've been dying to do it ever since. I think that would be a really cool thing to be able to cross off my bucket list.

17. Keep up with going to the gym.
In my last post I mentioned that I joined a gym. I've only been able to go a few times due to mine and Daniel's chaotic and quite opposite schedules, but we aim to go at least three times a week, and I'm hoping that when September comes I'll be able to look back and say that I kept at it.

18. Try new foods.
Other than adventures, I don't like to try anything new, but especially food. Whenever I go out to eat, I'll always get either bruschetta, lemon pepper calamari, butter chicken, or a salad. I love all those foods so I'm never disappointed, but I know I'm missing out on new experiences and the chance to discovered new favourite foods, so I want to start trying new things.

19. Wear a crop top.
This one may seem a little silly, but it's actually a really big deal for me. I used to be able to wear crop tops with no problem (I mean, I've only ever owned two, but still), but ever since I started working at a fast food restaurant in a food court, I've eaten take out more than ever before, and it's usually something deep fried and greasy. I have definitely started eating a lot better this year, and exercising more, so I'm hoping to get to a stage where I can wear cute tops like this one and not feel super self-conscious.

20. Make a phone call.
This is one goal that I do not want to do, plain and simple. Unless I'm calling Daniel, phone calls freak me out to the point that I get physically sick. I hate answering them, but I hate making them most of all - even if I love the person who's calling, which I usually do, it still stresses me out more than anything else. It is my biggest fear, so I think making even one phone call would be a huge achievement for me.

21. Buy things I actually need.
Much like the bed frame that I mentioned earlier, my house is lacking some serious necessities. Sure, I have an ice cream door stop and lips-shaped telephone, but what I actually need is some dining chairs, a filing cabinet, a better way to store my shoes, and a few other things that I think will make the house feel complete. Of course, I'm sure once I get all those things I'll just think of more things that I need, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

                                                                                                              ~     
There you go; 21 things I want to do before I turn 21 on September 16th. I honestly don't think I will be able to do them all, but I know now that I've actually told people my goals, I'll be more inclined to try and cross most of them off the list. Wish me luck!

Until next time,
Indya xx