Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Monday, 24 April 2017

April in Review

I do realise that April isn't actually over yet, but I have another post planned for Friday that I need a little more time to complete, so this one got bumped up to today! I know people say this all the time, but it honestly felt like I blinked and April was gone. I didn't even notice until a few days ago that I still hadn't turned my calendar over from March, which caused me to nearly miss two important events!

Even though the last three weeks have flown by, April has still been a pretty good month for me. I read more than I did last month, but still nowhere near as much as I used to. Now that I follow and read over 100 blogs because I keep finding ones that interest me, it's hard to make time for actual books, but I'm trying. I also watched a few movies - which is something I mentioned in my 21 Before 21 post that I wanted to do more often - so I'll be talking about them in this post, as well as any songs that I've been listening to lately.

Anyway, here is how my April was (so far)!



Social/Personal

♡ Went to my best friend's Harry Potter themed 21st.

♡ Hung out with some work friends in the city.
♡ Saw Arj Barker live at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival.
♡ Visited friends that we hadn't seen in over 5 months.
♡ Celebrated my fourth Easter with Daniel.
♡ Spent time with family after not seeing them for a while.
 Cooked dumplings on the stove all by myself.
 Reached 42 followers on Bloglovin'.

                                                                                                              ~

Movies


(500) Days Of Summer: 7/10

This was an interesting movie, but I knew it would be. Zooey Deschanel has a way of being in quite peculiar movies, which is something I love about her. Overall I did like this movie, it made me laugh, and there's nothing that makes my heart melt more than someone who is completely and irrevocably in love with someone else. Hearing someone talk about the person they're in love with is amazing. Tom thought Summer was the best thing that had ever happened to him, which was very sweet, but he failed to pay attention to who she actually was. She told him upfront that she didn't want anything serious, that she didn't want to put a label on it, and yet he ignored her, and got angry when she didn't want to do those things, which wasn't fair.

I also think Summer isn't a very good person. She knew how Tom felt about her and she still lead him on, acted distant whenever it suited her, and then ultimately left him, met someone else and got married in around 200 days. I know it was because she had found "the one" and all, but I don't think it made sense at all. That's just not who she was. That wasn't character development, it was just a sudden change. I do tend to only really look for what I don't like in movies, but I actually did like this movie. My favourite part was definitely when the girl at the interview revealed her name, right at the end of the movie. That was a good ending.


The Truman Show: 8/10
I have watched this movie before, but it was quite a while ago and I couldn't remember what happened. I actually chose it because I wanted to watch something funny, forgetting how serious and sad this movie actually is. This is certainly a unique movie that really makes you think about the perception of reality - as well as how we treat others, and how we think we know what is best for them. I quite like this movie, and a few of Jim Carrey's other works from the late 90's to the early 00's.

Finding Dory: 9.5/10
I had no idea that this was even on Netflix or I would have watched it straight away. I just happened to see when I was browsing through the Kids section one day and I was so excited. Daniel and I watched it that night and I loved the entire thing. The scenes with baby Dory made my heart melt, and I also loved Hank, Bailey and Destiny.

The only thing stopping me from giving it 10/10 is that they really emphasised Dory's short-term memory problem to the point that is was over-bearing. Her memory was nowhere near as bad in Finding Nemo, but it was the main plot point so I get that they had to amp it up a bit. I really did love this movie though.


American Beauty: 7/10
This movie was intense. Not at all what I thought it was going to be like. I was basically expecting the same kind of movie as Lolita, but it wasn't like that at all. In fact, the girl that he becomes infatuated with is barely the main plot line, there is so much else going on: the wife's affair; the daughter's boyfriend who I still didn't really understand even at the end; the boyfriend's dad who turned out just as I expected, yet still managed to surprise me at the end due to the scene leading up to it; and the fact that Angela turned out to be just talk after all.

This movie really showed that no one is who you think are. We all have demons; some of us can deal with them, others can't. One particular thought I had throughout this entire movie was that I don't want to end up like Lester and Carolyn. I refuse to be stuck in an unhappy relationship with a job that I hate - that is just a waste of a life.

Music


♡ F.F.F. (F*ck Fake Friends) - Bebe Rexha

♡ Ciao Adios - Anne-Marie
 Alarm - Anne-Marie
 So Good - Louisa Johnson
 I Got The Boy - Jana Kramer
 Everyday - Ariana Grande
 Cool Girl - Tove Lo
♡ No More Sad Songs - Little Mix
 Sit Still, Look Pretty - Daya

                                                                                                              ~

How was your month? Was there anything in particular that made you really happy?

Until next time,
Indya xx