Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Monday, 3 April 2017

The Ugly Muffin: Peanut Butter and Jelly Crumb Muffins

Most of the novelty holidays that interest me are only ever referenced on one website - the Days of the Year website - which does make me question how legitimate they actually are, but today's post was inspired by a novelty holiday that more people seem to actually know about: Peanut Butter and Jelly Day!

Multiple things came up about this holiday when I Googled it, including some articles on websites such as Metro News and Mashable. Peanut Butter and Jelly Day is on the second of April (which was actually yesterday for us Australians), and although I am yet to discover why it's a holiday, I'm certainly not going to complain about it!


As far as I can tell, only people in America seem to really care about this day, which makes sense since the average American will have eaten 2, 500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before they even finish high school (according to this website, anyway) which is mind-blowing! I'm nearly 21 and I don't think I've had that many sandwiches in my entire life!

I was always under the impression that 'jelly' is just the American word for 'jam', but apparently that is not true, and that jelly is actually a lot thinner than jam is. Evidently, the two are comparable to crunchy and smooth peanut butter. However, I just used jam for this recipe. I'm not even sure if we have 'jelly' in Australia - other than the good old Aeroplane type of jelly that would not go well on sandwiches at all!


For these muffins, I followed this recipe that I found on Pinterest, although mine didn't turn out quite as appealing to the eye - hence why I have named them The Ugly Muffin. 

Despite their crumby appearance (get it?! CRUMB-y? Because they're ugly, and it's in their name? I am just too funny), they tasted quite nice, although I do wish I had added a bit more jam to them.



Although I was still a lot younger than I am now, I do remember being quite late to the peanut butter and jam party. I just thought those two things were so different there was no way they'd taste good together, but I was wrong. They go perfectly together.

I really love peanut butter - I am a serial eat-it-out-of-the-jar kind of person - and I also adore jam, so it makes sense that I like them together. The savoury taste of peanut butter is complemented amazingly by the sweetness of the jam.


However, peanut butter and jam does taste better in a sandwich rather than a muffin. Their flavours are somewhat muted once they become muffins, and when you love peanut butter as much as I do, you want the true peanut butter experience at all times. Now excuse me while I go make myself twenty PB and J sandwiches to eat for the rest of the week!

Until next time,
Indya xx