Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Wednesday, 31 May 2017

My Favourite Home Decor Pieces

One of the best things about moving out of home with your partner (and there is so many great things about that) is being able to decorate your new place and make it feel like home.

Daniel and I currently rent a unit, but I always refer to it as 'our house' simply because it's easier. Plus, I think it's important to make any place that you're residing in feel like home, which is exactly what I've done.


Daniel is a very laid-back person. Nothing really phases him, so when we moved out, he said that as long as he gets his half-office (we share an office) to do what he likes with, then he doesn't mind what I do with the rest of the house - so, naturally, I went a little overboard.

I thought I owned a lot of stuff before I moved out, but my belongings have more than doubled since we moved in a little over a year ago - which, if you follow my Instagram, you will already know.

Today I am going to share my favourite home decor pieces that I have bought over this year. I love everything I own, but these few items never fail to put a smile on my face as they are quite unusual, and have "me" written all over them.

                                                                                                              ~



1. Ice cream door stop.
This was the first thing I bought out of all the things on this list, and it definitely set off a sweets n' treats themed decor vibe. For someone who doesn't like ice cream that much, I own a lot of ice cream-shaped items - in fact, I'm thinking about doing a blog post about them since there's so many now! They are just so cute, and can make any room seem a whole lot sweeter.

                                                                                                              ~



2. Lips phone.
Ever since I first saw Juno, I knew I wanted a novelty home phone. We never use our home phone (who does?), but we had to get one to connect the internet, and I was so sick of staring at the ugly grey one that we had, so I jumped on eBay - AKA my best friend - and found this gorgeous thing. I also really love the dark pink version, but I couldn't not get the classic red lip!

                                                                                                              ~



3. Polaroid toilet paper holder.
I love photos and cameras, and I especially love things shaped like cameras, so this has been on my wish list for quite a while. I can't actually use it yet because we'd need to take the one we currently have off the wall and put more holes in the wall, which we are unable to do as we are renting, so it just lives in its box for the time being.

I am mostly definitely looking forward to the day we have guests over and they discover it - I know I'd definitely be surprised if I saw something like this at someone else's house!

                                                                                                              ~



4. Typewriter.
Even though I am still yet to use it (which is why I'm counting is as a decor piece), the day I found this typewriter was a very happy day indeed. I had a typewriter that I used to use all the time before I lost it in the fires, and it was definitely one of the things I missed the most.

I'd had my old one for ages, so it was a proper metal one that are so incredibly expensive and hard to find these days. Even though the one I have now is relatively new, I am still so in love with it. It's definitely one of my favourite things in the house.

                                                                                                              ~


5. Donut bean bag.
As is stated in my bio on most of my social media profiles, I love donuts, so when I saw this in Kmart late last year, I instantly fell in love (and then Daniel bought it for me for Christmas because he's the best boyfriend ever).

The beanbag itself was decently priced, but it does take four $12 bags of beans to fill it up, so it ended up costing us $73 altogether. I don't even use it that often because I get a sore back and need to sit up straight, but Daniel uses it whenever we have dinner or watch something together, so at least it's still being used!

                                                                                                              ~



6. Stand mixer.
This isn't really a home decor item, but I've incorporated it into one. For starters, there is absolutely nowhere to put it in the actual kitchen. It could sit on a bench, but it would take up so much room and end up having stuff spilt on it, so for the moment it's just sitting on the dining table until I can figure out what to do with it.

I am hoping to use it as often as possible, but I also want it to have a home somewhere on display as it is gorgeous, and it goes with the pastel/food/vintage-esque home decor theme I'm aiming for.

                                                                                                              ~



7. My house of pins.
This was an old thrift shop find back when I used to do Sunday Savings posts, and it's definitely one of the best things I've found at a secondhand store. I didn't know what I was going to do with it when I bought it, but that's what excited me about it - there was so many different options! Once I started collecting pins, I had to figure out how to display them, and eventually decided to turn this into a little house of pins.

As it is made of wood - not cork - it's very difficult to put pins into, and it's even worse when I want to rearrange them because you can see where the other pins used to be, but I'm hoping to cover them up with newer pins in the future. If that doesn't work, I'll probably end up replacing the backing with a cork board so I'm able to move my pins around more freely. (By the way, these aren't all my pins! I have another cork board for non-Pokemon and Sailor Moon pins, and then I have other Sailor Moon pins displayed separately.)

                                                                                                              ~

I have so many ideas on ways to decorate our house that incorporate the sweet tooth theme I've got going on, and I'm really excited to share them with you once they're completed. The next idea I'm currently working on involves a couple of these guys, which I'm eagerly waiting to arrive. This is a relatively simple decoration idea, but I think it's going to look so cute! I am trying to make it so that you see a dessert and/or sweet no matter what direction you look in our house. Wish me luck!

Do you have any home decor or interior plans for the future? Is there a certain look or theme that you particularly admire? I love hearing all about others' decorating plans!

Until next time,
Indya xx