Hot Chocolate 7/13: Coffee Hot Chocolate

Hey! Remember two weeks ago when I said I wasn't going to do a coffee flavoured hot chocolate? Well, it turns out I lied, because here it is! I was just too intrigued and had to try it. 

Well, that, and I decided to re-watch Gilmore Girls - and everyone knows how coffee obsessed those two girls are! You can read about all the pain the series is causing me all over again on my Twitter, but there will definitely be spoilers, so read at your own risk!

Anyway, when Daniel and I were doing our weekly shop, I caved and bought some coffee. I know nothing about coffee, so naturally I bought the cheapest stuff I could find. I know that will make most all coffee drinks shudder, but I'm just not invested in the drink enough to actually learn what constitutes a "good coffee".

Because I'm weak and proud of it, I need a lot of sugar in my coffee to counteract the bitterness of it. I just can't get on board unless it's a really sweet coffee. I'm getting better at putting less sugar in my tea, and just experiencing how it tastes (almost) on its own, but I don't think I'll ever be able to do that with coffee.



I really can't give you any accurate measurements to this drink as I kept adding to it until it tasted right, but I can tell you that I put less coffee in it than chocolate drinking powder, and it was still the strongest flavour by far.

At first I put one teaspoon of coffee in with two teaspoons of chocolate drinking powder and one teaspoon of sugar, and it was awful. So bitter, and I couldn't even taste the chocolate! I added another, much fuller, teaspoon of chocolate drinking powder (if you've been paying attention you'll know I usually use tablespoons for the chocolate, but they were dirty and I was lazy!) and the result was much better. 

It was basically a cup of coffee with a slight taste of chocolate to it - much like the chai tea version I tried - but it was really good. The two flavours complimented each other well, and the chocolate, although mild, definitely helped ease me into the coffee flavour.



I still don't get the coffee craze though. I love the smell of it, and with the right amount of sugar it can taste perfectly fine, but I never feel the effects of the caffeine. My intense intake of Coca Cola may have something to do with that, but I don't think the caffeine in that really affects me either. Perhaps I have so much now I've become immune to it. Who knows.

If coffee is just a little too bitter for you, but adding heaps of sugar just isn't your thing, I suggest trying it with some chocolate in it! It makes it sweeter whilst also adding another flavour that helps soften the bitterness of coffee. Or, you could do some research and find a better coffee, as I have heard that the fancier/more expensive the coffee is, the nicer is tastes. I am yet to test that theory myself though!

                                                                                  ~

Are you coffee or a tea drinker? Is there a particular reason you prefer one over the other? Let me know in the comments below!

Until next time,
Indya xx
Related posts:

Popular Posts