Just a small girl trying to make the most of the world that she is both perpetually terrified of, and amazed by.

Monday, 14 August 2017

1st Blogging Birthday: What I've Learned So Far

I cannot believe that I've been blogging for an entire year already! It honestly feels like it's only been a couple of months. Time goes way too fast! I am so proud and in love with my blog. I have written 142 posts in the last 12 months, and I think that's a pretty good amount. I went from posting completely sporadically, to twice a week, and am now at three times a week.

My posts themselves have changed quite a bit as well. I scrapped series' that I didn't enjoy, I changed the names of other series', and I started posting cooking and DIY content, which has been my favourite change of all. This blog has encouraged me to branch out to new things, thus making me fall in love with creating - and life - all over again.



Looking back on my posts and statistics for this past year really helps me realise how far I have come, and lets me know what works best for me. Blogging is certainly a journey and I learn something new everyday - whether it be a huge new revelation, or even just something simple like make sure all your photos are the same size.


Whilst I am still 100% a newbie; a beginner; a novice; and every other synonym of those words, I would like to share a few things that I have learned since my very first post on this blog, as it is nice to reflect on the growth I have achieved, no matter how small it may be.

                                                                                                              ~

1. Know where to find your audience.
I am a huge fan of Sailor Moon, which certainly isn't a secret. Most of my readers aren't, and I totally get that. I would completely understand if they chose to skip posts about Sailor Moon and similar topics, but they never seem to. Still, for specific themes like SM, I seek out others in those communities. 


I have joined multiple Sailor Moon Facebook groups, and I also post my content in the Sailor Moon subreddit, which is one of my favourite subreddits of all time. If you post about specific topics that may not appeal to everyone, it may pay off to seek out readers for those posts in alternate places, instead of just miscellaneous blogging Facebook groups or Pinterest boards.

2. Pay attention to where your audience is from. 
I am from Australia, but the majority of my readers are from America. In fact, only around 5000 people who have viewed my blog are from Australia, whereas over 10 000 people from America have visited, which is mind-blowing. Due to most of my audience currently being in Summer, any posts of them that are about the colder weather are bound to attract less views as it's not relevant to my audience.

Obviously, I'm not going to be posting Summer-themed recipes and outfits that feature shorts and singlets when I can't go a day without having the heater on, but knowing where your audience is from can explain why certain things aren't working, and help you to find a middle ground.


3. Don't be afraid to get personal. 
I've gone through a lot of self discovery over the past year and a bit, and this blog definitely helped with that. Now that I realise I have anxiety, I am very vocal about it. I do worry that that people could get sick of hearing about it, but you have no idea how amazing it is to finally have an answer to so many questions. 

Years I've spent at a loss for words for why I am the way I am, why I'm so gosh darn scared of everything, and now I know why. Ever since I moved out of home and distanced myself from the life I lived for 20 years, everything all makes sense - and talking about all that on here has been amazing. 

My post about the side effects of anxiety that I deal with is my second most popular post of all time, and my posts about being estranged from my mother and struggling with dissociation are also two of my most popular posts. People appreciate honesty, and they like knowing that they aren't alone. I receive great support whenever I open up on here, and it always leaves me feeling better.

4. You DON'T need a niche.
When I first started blogging, I read a million and one posts about how important it is to have a niche. A year later, and all I'm seeing is posts on how you don't need one - and I completely agree with the latter. 


Both themed and miscellaneous blogs will find their audience; there's people out there who only like to read about specific things, and there's others who like a little bit of everything. The whole point about being a blogger is so that you can share who you are with the world, and that is going to cover a lot of topics. We are ever-changing creatures, and our blogs should be too.



5. I love it even more than I thought I would.
I started a blog with the vision of one day going into it full-time. I would still absolutely love to do that, but I've also realised that I genuinely love blogging so much that I will continue to do it even if I don't end up making any money off it. 

I am so passionate about writing, creating, and learning new things that I don't need to make money from those things for them to feel real or worthwhile to me. I've also grown so much as a person since I started blogging, and I'm sure I will continue to grow as I continue to blog, and I don't want to give that up just because it's not benefitting me financially. Life isn't all about money, anyway!

                                                                                                              ~

Starting a blog has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have something to look forward to, something to strive to improve each and every day, and I have found that I really enjoy having something to work on - especially when I have such a genuine love for it.

I've discovered so many incredibly kind and creative people through the world of blogging, and I've even made a few friends, who are always lovely and encouraging. If you are toying with the idea of starting a blog - or any creative journey at all - you should just go for it. You never know what might come out of it! Life is meant to be enjoyed, so do the things that make you happy!

Until next time,
Indya xx
Related posts: